The people of CommUnity are passionate about treating individuals in crisis as valuable human beings. From this passion comes the ability to excel at providing practical help. We are the only crisis intervention agency accredited by CONTACT USA in the state of Iowa.
CommUnity’s work is fueled by gifts of time, talent, and treasure from local people and organizations. These contributors are inspired by the tangible results achieved by CommUnity:
- Empathy through the telephone, online chat, and text
- Groceries on the kitchen table
- Referrals that help individuals get out of crisis
- Emergency financial support to avoid eviction or loss of utilities
- Fewer suicides every year
- People who have suffered a loss through a natural disaster have an advocate as they wind through the bureaucracy of disaster recovery
CommUnity is a volunteer-driven organization that provides immediate and non-judgmental support for individuals facing emotional, food, or financial crisis.
Every individual in our community has support in a time of need.
- Individuals self-identify as in need and self-select for CommUnity services.
- We protect the privacy of the individuals we serve.
- Clients come first – no bureaucratic barriers to delivering support.
- We make the most efficient use of our resources.
- Volunteers are the heart of the organization.